Dale Carnegie is the author of the book “How To Win Friends and Influence People“.
It’s a primer for people who want to develop their social skills – and it shows practical ways to employ these skills in business scenarios.
The book’s filled with really good ideas and tips. Here’s a section quote:
Six Ways to Make People Like You
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Remember that a man’s Name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk in the terms of the other man’s interest.
- Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely
The book was first published in 1937 but reading those points it’s not difficult to see it’s still relevant. The book itself is about interpersonal relationships. Although if you look at it closely, Mr Carnegie could have been predicting ways to create successful marketing. And with the shift to relevant engagement by brands with their customers, all these points could be a cheat sheet for brands wanting to get involved in social media.
Customers are people. Start thinking in terms of humans as opposed to demographics and stats, and you’ll be ahead of the game.
Click here to order a copy today (opens in new window).